Thursday, April 8, 2010

Broad Run Golf Club - West Chester, PA

Had the day off so took a trip back to a course I used to play on a daily basis, the beautiful and unforgiving Broad Run Golf Club in West Chester, PA (formerly Tattersall). Took my camera in case I saw any birds (saw a lot, no pics tho) but had a chance to take pics of almost every hole since I got to go out as a single. Got off around 8am and finished at 10:30 - shot 97 from the blues. Check out the pics below.

Hole #1 - Par 5 479 yards - beautiful tee shot, duffed second shot, third shot about 40 yards short of green, fourth chipped over green, five on, 2 putts for a 7.



Hole #2 - Par 4 393 yards - The pic below is where your tee shot should land so your second shot can go over the ravine downhill to a large green. This was my third shot, though. Duffed tee shot, second shot to pic below, third shot crushed right of cart path hole high, fourth shot on, two putts for 6.



Hole #3 - Par 4 348 yards - No pics which sucks because this is one of the highest points on the course and you can see for miles and miles in all directions. Great tee shot about 85 yards out, lob wedge on in two, 2 putts for a par. Ship it.

Hole #4 - Par 4 342 yards - Awesome view on this hole as you can see. First pic is from the tee box, second pic is looking back towards tee box from the green. Drove the ball just left of the left hand bunker, awkward lie so punched it to about 60 yards, chipped on, 2 putts for a bogey 5.




Hole #5 - Par 4 298 yards - A fun downhill tee shot here - I hit it well and was about 40 yards short of the green. Chipped on, two putts for a par.



Hole #6 - Par 4 399 yards - Sweeping dogleg left, as you can see tee shot is blind, cant go too far left because it's all OB after you crest the hill - I hit a little too much cut on my drive, great shape to the shot and it stayed up but produced an awkward second shot. My only choice was to punch out to 100 yards, chipped up and 2 putt for a bogey 5. First pic is tee shot, second pic is of green.





Hole #7 - Par 4 412 yards - Narrow tee shot with a bunker lining the entire right side of the fairway from a steep slope. Left is a huge hill that does not produce many good lies if you hit it, unless you get a favorable bounce back towards the fairway. Hit a great drive to about 165 out, duffed a 7 iron, chipped up and 2 putt for a bogey 5.



Hole #8 - Par 3 137 yards - No pics, was playing through on this hole - luckily for me I didn't duff my tee shot in front of the group I was playing through. Hit 9 iron with a nice cut on it, bounced off the hill to the left onto the fringe, 2 putt for par.

Hole #9 - Par 4 381 yards - Another narrow-ish tee shot - right is completely dead wasteland, left is a hill that you can play off of. Second shot is over a creek to a large green. Hit a great drive to 160 out, duffed 7 iron into creek, dropped and hit sand wedge to about as far away from the pin as I could get while still on the green, 3 putts for a triple-bogey 7.




Hole #10 - Par 3 169 yards - If you've played Broad Run before, you know the drive from 9 to 10 takes roughly 5 minutes, gave me some time to evaluate the 46 I put up on the front. I thought I played well in spite of duffing a few too many shots, and was excited for the back. Until I duffed (another) 7-iron off the tee to the ladies tee box, wedge to just short of the bunkers buried on the bank of the lake, lob wedge to 20 feet and 2 putts for a double-bogey 5. Damn it... I stayed with the 7-iron all day in spite of not having any success with what is normally a very reliable club for me, my stubborn behavior cost me a few strokes this round.



Hole #11 - Par 4 363 yards - Nothing special about this hole - hit another good tee shot to 165 out, 6-iron uphill into the wind about 30 feet from the pin, 2 putts for par.



Hole #12 - Par 5 505 yards - No picture from the tee box because I was playing through which sucks because it's a beautiful tee shot - the houses on the left are pretty sick. Tee shot into the right bunker about 260 out, 8-iron out of bunker only advanced it 60 yards, 3 iron to 20 yards short and left, lob wedge way uphill over two bunkers to 10 feet where I decided to 2-putt for bogey. First picture is right before I stepped in bunker to take second shot, second pic is looking back at the teebox from the same place.




Hole #13 - Par 3 171 yards - No pics from tee box - it's a downhill par 3 with a lake on the entire right side, bunkers on the left - you can see the lake from the pic, what you can't see from the pic is my ball because it's at the bottom of the lake. Dropped and skulled a lob wedge into left bunker, chipped out and 2 putts for 6. This is about the point where things started to go downhill a bit.




Hole #14 - Par 4 403 yards - Tough hole, straight uphill to a well protected green. Used to be cart path only up until last year when they opened it up - you used to have to drive way up on the cart path on the hill to the right and walk a mile to your ball. This used to be the cause of many 5+ hour rounds at Broad Run - they opened up the cart rules on #3, #6, #9, and #14 and it has made a world of difference. Hit my drive into the left rough to 200 yards out, took 3-iron and put it way over the green, looked forever for the ball and couldn't find it - dropped and chipped up to 3 feet and tapped in for bogey 5. First pic is tee shot, second is approach, third is looking back toward tee box from green.





Hole #15 - Par 5 520 yards - Little bit of a dogleg left, easy hole to score on if you dont slice your tee shot into the woods. Dropped and hit 7 iron to 120 out (first good 7-iron of the day!), hit a beautiful sand wedge to 20 feet and 2 putts for a bogey 6. First pic is tee shot, second is approach.




Hole #16 - Par 4 381 yards - Nothing special about this hole, took the pic from just behind red tees as I almost forgot to take one. Terrible drive way too much spin to only 190 out, took 4 iron and sliced it into woods but found it, chunked lob wedge out, hit two more lob wedges to get onto the green and 2 putted for triple bogey 7. Total abortion of a hole for me.



Hole #17 - Par 3 160 yards - This is the "hate it or love it" hole of Broad Run. It's literally a MILE downhill. If this is your first time playing the course, pick whatever club you normally hit from 160 and close your eyes and swing. I personally love the hole but others might not. I hit an 8-iron with the wind behind me which would not be a bad choice if I didn't blade it and send it way right. After hours of searching and finding many other balls, I finally found my ball in the sticks, lob wedge to short of green, terrible chip onto fringe and 3 awesome putts later I have a triple bogey 6. First pic is from tee box, second pic is from edge of tee box, third pic is from left of green looking back up toward tee box.





Hole #18 - Par 5 535 yards - Great finishing hole with a little something for everyone. Bunkers and bad news line the right side of the fairway, any shot left will come down the hill back into the fairway - hit a nice fade off the tee to 280 out, hit 6-iron to 95 out, bladed a lob wedge over the green, chipped to 6 feet and chili-dipped the easiest fucking putt of the entire day to make bogey 6. First pic is tee box, second pic is my shot from 95 out with a guest appearance by my ball in the lower left.


No comments:

Post a Comment